6.21.2012

021;; I'm going to Portland! Officially!

Tonight I got some bits and pieces of information that were both the best and the worst things I've ever been told. I am ecstatic though. The admissions department (AI of Portland) has honestly given me some kind of miracle.

A back story: I attended Southern Illinois University Carbondale as soon as I got out of high school because my best friend at the time (Callie) was in a sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma. I wanted what she had. Hanging out with those ladies a few times my senior year got me hooked. They were amazing. I wanted that bond and friendship. I declined several art schools during this time so I could do that. I knew that private art institutions did not have greek life, to do that I was going to have to go to a state university. After a year, our chapter left the campus and all of us became alumnae of the sorority. In essence, that means I could never join in on collegiate life as a Tri-Sigma member again. Which was fine, I had no intention of going to another university that supported greek life. 

After my year studying generals at SIUC, I applied and was accepted to Memphis College of Art in Memphis, TN. I was going through a pretty bumpy road with my mother off and on throughout the summer before classes started, so I ended up moving the spring before school started to "get settled." This was the best and worst decision at the time. I do not regret going down there to get on my feet and get comfortable with Memphis. I don't even regret getting a job at GameStop (every college kid's dream job, right?). What I wish I had done though is done more research on the school. I was determined to get a BFA in Photography. I didn't realize that Memphis still supported more of a film approach to photography than digital. That was never what I wanted. I wanted to go to school to learn something about this art form I was so passionate about that would aid me in getting a job outside of school. Anyway, this is going to turn into a rant I don't feel like making. Long story short, the school wasn't right for me. I made some of the best friends in the world there, learned and tried things I never thought I would, and memories I will always cherish; but I had to move on. 

It took me 6 months after leaving MCA to leave Memphis. I was in a relationship (not a healthy one) and living with my friend at the time, so I was studying at a community college just taking some generals while trying to figure out what I was going to do with my schooling. I was given the opportunity to move back home to live in my mom's house and attend a local community college, and decided it was the most financially stable move to make. So I moved back home.

Big mistake.

I'm not a small town girl. I never have been. From the time I was 10 years old it was obvious to everyone how unhappy I was where I was living. I wanted out. & realizing now that I willingly moved back here? It makes me a little sick to my stomach sometimes, but I still feel that it was the only decision I had. I'm not opposed to the idea of needing the help to get back on my feet, even if I'm miserable along the way.

I've had a year to really process what I wanted to do with my life and where I wanted to go. Main motivation was obviously just as far away from Marion, Illinois as humanly possible. Hello, west coast. I've always been in love with the west coast, and after visiting San Francisco, CA in March of 2010 I couldn't wait to see more of it. The weather was to die for! Even when it was "cold" - I still 
couldn't get enough of it.

Anyway.. I originally started looking at the Art Institute of Seattle. Who doesn't dream of Seattle? It's beautiful. There was just something about the personality of Portland, Oregon that I couldn't shake though. Leia (my admissions rep) has been by my side this entire process. It's taken probably 5x longer than it should have, and been 100x more stressful than necessary... but after tonight? It's so worth it!

After my initial financial aid appointment and spreadsheet... my tuition payments were estimated to be anywhere from $750-$1000 a month. Not including housing/living. This also did not take into any consideration transfer credits (since none of my transcripts had been received yet). This was just a straight cut and dry of the Bachelor's degree hours.

All my transcripts got processed.

My mom called me tonight after talking to Tad (financial aid guy) and Leia. Guess how many credits they transferred? 47 hours! That's an entire year off of my program! Oh. my. goodness. I almost started crying when she got me that.

My tuition payments at most will be $220. With housing? $650-$850. 

I'M GOING TO SCHOOL IN THE FALL!
 
I realize I keep going off in little tangents, and I'm sorry. If you're still reading, thank you!

Mom's rules for Portland:
  • This is my last chance to get my Bachelor's. If I don't finish it now, I never will.
  • I have to live in student housing for at least 3 months (the first quarter).
  • That means no cats. :(
  • I have to sell my car (anyone need/want an '05 Cobalt?).
  • The money I had saved up to pay for first/last/security in an apartment must go to help pay for student housing the first few months.
  • If my grades slip, I'm in trouble.




>> photo from here <<

I start school October 1st.

1 comment: