6.23.2012

027;; Nothing I miss more...

When you start to attend an art school (or any school for art, I'm assuming) - you know you're required to take beginner foundations courses. Drawing I & II, 2D Design, 3D Design, Art History I & II, so on, and so forth. It's just that bridge you have to cross before you get into the meat of your degree where you can start learning the things you're most passionate about. You want to know what's funny?

I got more from those foundation classes than any of my photography classes. Ever. 
Keep in mind, Photography was my major at one point.


There is nothing I miss more than Mondays & Wednesdays. 9 am. Studio I. Remy Miller. Knowing I could sit down on either a drawing horse or on the cement floor, pull out that enormous 18x24 piece of paper and just... draw.


I know I hated it and complained about it at the time... but Drawing II specifically taught me more about what I like than any other class. As far as traditional mediums go. There are so many good memories and good things that came from that class. 

I love keeping a sketchbook.
I hate paper collage.
Conte pencils are by far one of my most loved drawing materials.
I can't stand charcoal though.
I learned how to draw with sticks && ink.
Wet on wet ink is amazing. 
Mixed media. I'm in love with it.
Still life can be exciting, if you make it your own.
Mistakes are no reason to throw something away, or start over. Sometimes they make the piece.
Embrace them.

I never thought that after everything, I would look back on my 2 years spent in Memphis and miss drawing. I miss people from the photo classes, sure... but nothing quite the way I miss getting dirty in the floor in the studio.

I will have an art studio one of these days. 

One where I can get messy, lay out my paper on the floor, set up a still life that will last for days or weeks if I want it to. A place just for me to draw, and think.

I feel so confined in houses and apartments and dorm rooms. At least when it comes to creating. There's always that thought in the back of your head that you have to be careful and not make too big of a mess. Well - when you're working with charcoal and ink and whatever else... it happens. && let me tell you how India Ink does NOT come out of anything. Ever. 

I hope when I get married and we buy a house, he understands why I'll need this space. It's one expense that will be so worth it.


What got me started thinking about this? This random ass project Remy had us do at the end of the year.
It was the best thing, and one of the things I'm most proud of.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you find happiness in your journey to portland. it seems like you have so many amazing things to look forward to. i can't wait to experience your growth as a person and as an artist as you progress in your adventure.

    if you'd like, do feel free to add you button on my sponsor page. just enter the code swap for a free small ad.

    xo bhrett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bhrett.

      Oh, and if you guys ever do make it out to Portland, let me know? <3


      -Sara

      Delete
  2. Why have I never seen those pieces??? They are amazing..but then again I've always thought you an absolutely phenomenal artist with a pencil or charcoal in hand. I'm glad you're finally realizing how good you really are. I only got frustrated and irritated because you were on the verge of throwing away such a beautiful gift and future by becoming stagnant. There's a "study area" in your housing in Portland...concrete floor and all!!!! :)

    Love ya!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete